rss
email
twitter
facebook

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM



It's not often I blog about video game reviews, but I wanted to share my thoughts about Skyrim with you today. Let me be blunt with you first: I am not (and nor will I ever claim to be) a gamer. In fact, I've never played Skyrim before. But because I only have one television, I've been forced to watch at least 5 hours of gameplay a day for the past two weeks now. 


My boyfriend eats, breathes, and sleeps Skyrim. Every spare moment he has is spent on the PS3. Since he hogs the television, I've spent the past few days ordering his Dunmer character around from the couch: "Do the Thieves Guild Quest! Stop wasting time with the Greybeards! Kill the dragon, already!" and such, haha. Skyrim has taken over our lives and I'm a little ashamed to confess I've become somewhat obsessed with this game as well. 


Inspiration is a funny thing, indeed. Before the Skyrim Invasion, I was suffering from a serious case of writer's block. However, after seeing so many Elves and Dragons dance across my screen, I've decided to try my hand at a fantasy story to pass the time until I can get back on track with my novel. 


I really love Skyrim's storyline. The writing is top notch and I enjoy the dialogue sequences from all of the characters. I've never written a dragon story before. I always thought dragons were corny as hell and an overused crutch for many in "epic fantasy" genre. Skyrim has a unique spin on the dragon cliche. I was inspired the most by the "Shouts" and the whole concept of speech and language being used as weapons. 


I have no idea how long this little dragon story of mine will be. Haven't actually sat down to write it yet. I'm hoping for a quick little novella. Maybe 10 to 30 thousand words. We'll see...

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails