rss
email
twitter
facebook

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

Have you ever watched a movie that was so bizarre and confusing that it haunted you weeks after you finished watching it?


The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus has done that for me. The movie itself has flaws--it loses its punch halfway through, but the creativity and imagery of this film excited me on an aesthetic, visceral level. I can't really tell you what it is about...it's just one of those films you'll have to see for yourself. This is my first Terry Gilliam movie and I am curious to watch more of his movies. If you like bizarre, dark fantasy flicks you'll like this weird film. Trailer below: 


3 comments:

TS Hendrik said...

I liked it. I do wonder what might have been if Heath Ledger hadn't died. The script did have to be reworked for the second half because of that.

That was your first Gilliam flick? He's always interesting but when he makes a bad film, he makes it really bad. I would recommend Time Bandits for the next one. Classic weird fun.

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

You know...Heath Ledger's death is felt in the movie. I felt halfway through that it was "missing" something. Perhaps that would explain the script, you're right.

I'll have to order Time Bandits on Netflix! :D Thanks for the heads-up!

Author Missy Jane said...

My first ever foreign film was called Man Eat Dog. It's filmed like a documentary in B&W, with the film crew following around a serial killer. They filmed him actually killing people and at the end everyone died. It was disturbing but like a car wreck, I couldn't stop watching it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails