rss
email
twitter
facebook

Monday, October 15, 2012

Fiction Snob

This term was applied to me recently. And you know what? I'm proud to be a "fiction snob." I've been reading for as long as I could hold a book--and I kinda know now what I like and what I don't. I'm the type of reader who reads an entire book in one sitting. I'm fast. If I'm feeling motivated, I can read two books in a day. My tastes vary--I like non-fiction and fiction equally, but I'm very particular about fiction. I don't like fiction that does not make me think. Or fiction that just sits there like a blob on the page and doesn't move. Your book can't only be about your characters "doing stuff." I want a deeper message. Engage me. Teach me something. Force me to re-categorize my cognitive schemas. Show me a different point of view. My brain likes to be put to use. If that makes me a "snob" then I'll proudly wave that flag! Perhaps I'm pretentious. My nickname in high school was "The Incredible Socrates." But I've always enjoyed thinking. And written words are like food for my brain. 

Sharing ideas. Communication. All wonderful things for (blowhard) writers like me! 



1 comments:

Theresa said...

gee, i wonder who applied that term to you? ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails