rss
email
twitter
facebook

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Your First Time...

No, no...I'm not talking about THAT first time! Geez, get your mind out of the gutter, will ya?!



I'm talking about BOOKS! What was the first book or story that turned you on? Was it an erotic story? A romance? A playboy magazine? And how old were you?

Go on, you can be honest! We're all friends here!

I'll tell you the first book that turned me on... well, to be fair, it was more of a novella. To date, it is the only romance book I can read in its entirety without keeling over from hyperglycemic shock.

I was at the tender age of 15 when I stumbled across some old books in the basement of our new house. The previous family had left some of their junk in there and it was my task to clean it out. As I was clearing out the boxes, I spied a faded purple book nestled there amongst the puzzle games. I thought it was innocent enough, and the cover was intriguing.


I had no idea what this book was about. I didn't know it was a romance...or that once I read it I would become a lifelong fan of D. H. Lawrence. All I knew is that the book "called" to me. It was there in that lonely little box in the darkest corner of the basement...so forgotten, worn and tattered--and I felt sorry for it in a way. I took it upstairs with me and spent the next hour and a half reading it from cover to cover.

I was engrossed! Utterly enthralled! It was the first romance story I ever read...and LIKED! It had murder, cougars, suspense, and a demonic fox! It combined feminism and even lesbianism together in one neat package. And although there wasn't any physical sex in it, the sexual tension between all the characters was enough to steam my clams, if you know what I mean. And this is coming from a tomboy.

I love "The Fox" by D. H. Lawrence. It was my first, and I'm forever grateful I found it in the basement that day. For one, it changed my mind about romances. AND it got me thinking about erotica for the first time. Of course, it wouldn't be til 5yrs later I write my first erotic piece...but it was the start of something. I still have that old copy of "The Fox" in my apartment. Whenever I'm suffering from writer's block, I dust it off and have another read.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails